Greenwood Construction Projects 2018
The transformation of downtown Greenwood has begun, and it will impact your next library visit. Construction in the areas adjacent to the library are slated to continue through summer. Patrons should access the library by traveling south on Meridian Street. Click on the map to the right for an enlarged view. Here’s what you need to know before you go:
- Update 5.14 - The Meridian St. and Main St. intersection will be closed on May 16th -17th. You can still access the library by traveling via Madison to Machledt to Meridian St.
- There are now barricades on Meridian Street, however there is still access to the Library.
- The Madison Street entrance and city parking lot west of GPL are already closed. The new lot and new entrance off of the connector road may not be finished until late August, depending on weather. Please use the Meridian Street entrance to the library.
- Meridian Street at Surina Way is under construction and will close to traffic during construction slated to close for 60 days. Be sure to access the library from the north on Meridian.
- Smith Valley and Madison will close June 1st to August 31st for the new roundabout. Take US 31 to Main to Meridian if you are approaching the library from the south.
- In April there may be limited access for a short time through the stoplight at Main and Meridian. Patrons may take Machledt Drive from the Madison to avoid this construction and access our Meridian entrance.
“We are excited to be at the center of the city’s renovations. When it is complete the whole community will enjoy the new walking paths, better access, and updated public spaces. But for the next six to eight months we want to make sure our patrons know the best ways to get to the library so that they can keep reading and attending library events,” said Cheryl Dobbs, GPL Library Director. “We’re doing all we can to make things easier for our patrons. GPL staff are already parking off site and walking in to keep our parking lot as open as possible, and we relocated the large Easter Egg Hunt event to the High School soccer field. We are revving up for Summer Reading and look forward to reading with Greenwood this summer!”
If you have any questions about the upcoming city construction projects, please feel free to ask a GPL staff member, or visit the city of Greenwood’s website—https://www.greenwood.in.gov/