volunteer @ GPL
We need your help! The Greenwood Public Library relies on the charitable work of adult volunteers to keep the library running smoothly and efficiently. If you are interested in offering your time at the library, continue reading!
- A commitment of 1-2 hours of service/wk preferred
- Service hours are tracked and a certificate is available if needed
- Volunteers are recognized for their awesomeness quarterly
There are TONS of reasons for community members to volunteer at the library. Some just love libraries (I mean - how could you NOT?). Some are eager to support and enhance library services. Some need to complete service hours for school. Some love the smell of books. And some just enjoy the satisfaction of helping others.
The volunteer coordinators try to match up a volunteer's interests with available tasks - but here's a sneak peek of some of the ways you can help the library!
- The Studio | If you're crafty or enjoy learning about new technology, volunteering in The Studio (the library's makerspace) might be the right fit! Studio volunteers assist with checking out and maintaining kits, program preparation, hosting drop-in activities, and teach patrons about all of the exciting offerings in the makerspace.
- Program Preparation | The library puts on 100+ programs a year and could always use some help preparing for events! From cutting out materials to organizing resources there's always something to be done to assure patrons have a great experience at GPL.
- Collections Maintenance | There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes to keep the collection looking new and fresh. If you love detail-oriented tasks, love the alphabet, and like interacting directly with books, we can use your help! Tasks may include shelf grooming (making the shelves look nice), shelf reading (making sure the books are in order), and pulling books (to help librarians determine if items need to remain in the collection).
- Odds & Ends | It's not always glamorous, but it's SO appreciated! There's always a bit of cleaning and organizing - little touches that go a long way to keeping the library beautiful and making each of our spaces comfortable and inviting.
* We accept community service requests on a case by case basis.
- Pick up a volunteer application at the Adult Reference Desk, print one out here, or complete the online application.
- Return the completed application to the 2nd floor Help Desk.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will review your application and get in touch to set up an interview to discuss interests and schedules.
Kids interested in volunteering at the library should stop by the Kids Help Desk on the first floor or contact Miss Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org
Teens interested in volunteering at the library should check out the TeenHQ Get Involved webpage or contact Miss Jessica at email@example.com
For more information, or if you have any questions about volunteering, contact Aubrey Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (317) 881-1953.